Mickela was born and raised in Stamford, Connecticut of Italian immigrant parents from Minturno (Lazio region). Growing up with well-preserved traditions of the Southern Italian culture, her appreciation for folk tradition started at a very young age. She began dancing when she was three years old and soon started playing the piano at age five. Her love for the arts flourished, was trained in classical and jazz piano, played violin and flute, trained at the Stamford City Ballet school and Center Stage Dance Studio, and was choreographing and performing with prestigious companies in the tri-state area once she reached high school. In college, Mickela attended New York University for Music Composition, studying abroad for two summer semesters through the NYU Florence Program and as an AIAE Programma Ponte scholarship recipient in Rome in 2003. Studying abroad sparked a love for travel in Mickela back in 2002 that has since then influenced her career.
Out of college, Mickela worked in the music industry, eventually landing a position with one of the top music management companies, Sanctuary Artists. Working for one of the industry’s top metal bands, Slipknot, she realized that arts were no longer in her daily life as they had once been. Quitting the music industry entirely, she went full force back into dance, teaching jazz, tap, ballet, and lyrical at the Locust Performing Arts Center in Stamford (artistic director, Jimmy Locust) as well as The Masala Bhangra Workout® at The Ailey Extension in New York City.
How Bare Feet was Born
With the constant love for travel always calling back to her, Mickela created the Bare Feet project in 2010 as an extension to what she had already been doing during her trips abroad and locally. Her fascination for folk dance and music inspired her to always seek out the local performances and celebrations so she herself could immerse herself in the dance culture. Inspiration from her own experiences led Mickela to create the Bare Feet Blog, documenting her dance adventures around the world, which then evolved into the Emmy® Award-winning TV series on public television nationwide, Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi – combining her two passions in life: travel & dance.
Mickela wants the Bare Feet series to inspire her audience to experience for themselves the wonderful dances that she learns in every place she visits.
Mickela Mallozzi & Bare Feet have received the following awards and recognitions:
- 2018 Telly Award for Bare Feet in NYC with Mickela Mallozzi "The Bright Lights of Broadway" TV Program - Travel/Tourism
- 2018 AIAE Honoree "Excellence In The Arts" - Mickela Mallozzi
- 2018 Dance Parade Grand Marshal - Mickela Mallozzi
- 2018 "Champion of Change" by The UN Women NY Metro Chapter - Mickela Mallozzi
- 2017 NY Emmy® Award for Best On-Camera Talent: Performer/Narrator - Mickela Mallozzi
- 2017 Taste Awards Hall Of Fame Inductee - Mickela Mallozzi
- 2017 Telly Award for Bare Feet in NYC with Mickela Mallozzi "Manhattan's Chinatown" - Travel/Tourism TV Program
- 2017 People's Telly Silver Award for Bare Feet in NYC with Mickela Mallozzi "Manhattan's Chinatown"
- 2017 Telly Award for Bare Feet in NYC with Mickela Mallozzi "Manhattan's Chinatown" - Cultural TV program
- 2016 Woman of Valor Award to Mickela Mallozzi - The Victory Dance Project
- 2016 Telly Award for Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi "Where Europe Meets Asia" TV Program - Travel/Tourism
- 2016 Telly Award for Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi "Where Europe Meets Asia" TV Program - Cultural
- 2016 NY Emmy® Award for Best Entertainment: Program/Special - Bare Feet in NYC with Mickela Mallozzi "The Bright Lights of Broadway"
- 2015 People's Telly Award for Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi "It Takes Two To Tango"
- 2015 NY Emmy® Award for Best Magazine Program - Bare Feet with Mickela Mallozzi "Hogmanay in Scotland"
- 2014/2015 Malaysia Tourism Award for Best Travel Documentary "Malaysia" Episodes
- 2014 NY Emmy® Award for Best On-Camera Talent: Performer/Narrator - Mickela Mallozzi